Wednesday, 26 January 2011

The Eddie Murphy Theory

Nowadays, when people hear the name Eddie Murphy, reactions tend to be neutral, perhaps bordering on negative. Unless you mention him in front of my mother, who will spurt a sentence full of swear words and synonyms of "idiotic".

However, there was a time when he was funny. Screw that, there was a time when he was the funniest, edgiest comedian around and he maintained this title right until 1996 when he was offered $16m to make this.


"Every bad decision I've made has been based on money. I grew up in the projects and you don't turn down money there. You take it, because you never know when it's all going to end. I made Cop III because they offered me $15 million. That $15 million was worth having Roger Ebert's thumb up my ass."

Now he's the only one laughing, because he gets paid millions to fart in fat suits, but today - the 27th January 2011 - let us remember him for the comic genius he was.

RIP, the Talented Mr Murphy. 

14 comments:

  1. He was great in Men and Black, I love Samuel L Jackson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is better as a stand-up than anything else, but even then he just makes a serious of generic homophoebic jokes just like all the other comedians of his time.

    Not that Beverly Hills Cop wasn't an instant classic....

    ReplyDelete
  3. his standup beats the hell out of chris rocks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man his skit on the homemade momma McDonald burger is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never saw too much of him, but what I did see was hilarious. Good times, definetly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, he used to be pretty funny. The mention of his name now makes me want to vomit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "goonie goo goo" eddy is the best


    http://useful-internet-sites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coming from a poor family, I thought his old standup was the funniest shit out there. It hit home so perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eddie Murphy was awesome, whatever happened to him :(? The last movie I saw of his "Norbit" was just plain horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love old Eddie and I can see his point of just wanting to get paid. But still he has to have reached the point where he can pick and choose...I mean Norbert....REALLY?!?

    also turn off the captcha please

    ReplyDelete